by Professor Alexander Taylor, circa 1779 AD
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship.
The average age of the world’s greatest civilizations has been 200 years.
These nations have progressed through this sequence:
1) From bondage to spiritual faith.
2) From spiritual faith to great courage.
3) From courage to liberty.
4) From liberty to abundance.
5) From abundance to selfishness.
6) From selfishness to complacency.
7) From complacency to apathy.
8) From apathy to dependency.
9) From dependency back again into bondage.
Those who know God ought to encourage others to break out of this cycle. Anytime we recognize that we are beyond point 4, we need to go back to point 2. — NSE.